Setting Up Your E-mail in Microsoft Outlook
This tutorial shows you how to set up or make neccessary changes to you Microsoft Outlook to work with your UpstateWeb e-mail account. This tutorial focuses on setting up Microsoft Outlook 2003, but these settings are similar in other versions of Microsoft Outlook. You can set up previous versions of Microsoft Outlook by using the settings in this tutorial.
To Set Up Your E-mail Account in Microsoft Outlook
- In Microsoft Outlook, select Tools > E-mail Accounts.
- On the E-mail Accounts wizard window, select "Add a new e-mail account" or "View or change existing e-mail accounts" and click Next.
- For your server type, select "POP3" and click Next.
- On the Internet E-mail Settings (POP3) window, enter your information as follows:
- Your Name
- Enter your first and last name.
- E-mail Address
- Enter your e-mail address.
- User Name
- Enter your e-mail address, again.
- Enter the password for your e-mail account.
- Incoming mail server (POP3)
- Your incoming server is mail.upstateweb.com.
- Outgoing mail server (SMTP)
- Enter your Internet Sevice Provider's (ISP) outgoing mail server. (mail.bellsouth.net, smtp-in1.nuvox.net, smtp.itcdeltacom.net, etc..)
Click "More Settings."
NOTE: If your ISP does not offer use of their outgoing mail server, you can try to use mail.upstateweb.com, but you will need to follow steps 5 and 6. Otherwise, you can skip these and go to Step 7.
ONLY USE STEPS 5 & 6 IF YOU CAN NOT USE YOUR ISP FOR OUTGOING EMAIL. THE FOLLOWING TWO STEPS ARE ONLY IF YOU ARE GOING TO USE MAIL.UPSTATEWEB.COM FOR OUTGOING EMAIL.
- On the Internet E-mail Settings window, select the "Outgoing Server" tab.
- Select "My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication" and leave the radio button checked for "Use same settings as my incoming mail server".
IF YOU WANT TO CHECK YOUR EMAIL ONLINE USING YOUR SMARTERMAIL ACCOUNT, YOU MUST FOLLOW STEPS 7 & 8. DO NOT LEAVE YOUR EMAIL FOR MORE THAN 30 DAYS.
- Select the "Advanced" tab and check "Leave a copy of messages on the server". By default, it will remove the message after 10 days. This will allow you to check your email online using SmarterMail.
- Click OK.
- Click Next.
- Click Finish.